Virginia Tech Aircraft Design Reports
These are the final reports and some final presentations from Virginia Tech
Aircraft Design Students. Current students should be aware that not all of these
reports were graded A (or even B).
Two excellent examples that pre-date electronic versions of reports have been scanned in as models:
- from 1991: The Griffen , an interdiction/attack fighter.
- from 1992: The Protar , a general aviation design.
- The 2009-2010 Design Projects
- The NASA Aeronautics Competition for College Students, in 2009-10 an Amphibious Tiltrotor
- The Morphing Airplane for 2009-2010, co-advised by Onur Bilgen, W.H. Mason and Dan Inman.
- The Morphing Wing Poster, a 1M pdf file.
- AIAA Design Competition: an Alternate Fuels and Environmentally Friendly Aircraft (4 teams) Winner TBD Sept. 2010
- The BioJet BC-175 a 4.5M pdf file
The Environauts EN-1 a 9.6M pdf file
CP Aeronautics CP-01 Planeteer a 4.3M pdf file
The Slpistream Aerospace SWAT a 8.9M pdf file
- CP Aeronautics CP-01 Planeteer Poster
- The Slpistream Aerospace SWAT Poster
- Human Powered Airplane Project Competing for the Kremer Prize - status in 2009-2010
- The 2008-2009 Design Projects
- AIAA Design Competition: an Advanced, Envoronmentally Compatible 150 Seat Commercial Transport (4 teams)
- Greenspan, The WB-1 a 4.5M pdf file
- Aerohead Aeronautics, AA SB-1 a 9.6M pdf file
- Cirrus Technologies, Eco-Strut a 4.3M pdf file
- Fusion Aeronautics, HB-86 Navigator a 8.9M pdf file
- Human Powered Airplane Project Competing for the Kremer Prize - status in 2008-2009
- The International Design Collaboration with Loughborough University, advised by Sam Wilson of AVID.
- JFTL, the Joint Future Theatre Lift C-328 Ostrich, a 3M pdf file.
- The International Aerial Robotics Competition Project, with the Virginia Tech Mechanical Engineering Dept,
The IARC Team Quadrotor, a 5.3M pdf file.
- The NASA Graduate Design Competition entry. a supersonic transport
- The Javelin Concept , by Bakar Bey, Stephen Pace, Zach Parson and Raul Telles, a 4.4M pdf file.
- The 2007-2008 Design Projects
- Human Powered Airplane Project Competing for the Kremer Prize - advised in 2007-2008 by Kevin Kochersberger
- The Commercial Airplane of the Future
- STINGRAE , the 2008 winner of the NASA Fundamental Aeronautics Student Competition,
- undergraduate division, advised by Andy Ko - Congratulations!
- The 2006-2007 Design Projects
- Human Powered Airplane Project
- AIAA Design Competition: An Austere Field STOL Tactical Transport (6 teams)
- The 2005-2006 Design Projects
- AEME Morphing 2005-2006
- Human Powered Airplane Project
- AIAA Design Competition: The Homeland Interceptor (4 teams)
- The 2004-2005 Design Projects
- MicroMAPS, Final Report for Spring 2005, (3M), installation on a UAV, sponsored by
NASA Langley and the Virginia Space Grant Consortium.
- MicroMAPS, Final Presentation for Spring 2005, (12M)
- ALDS Report, the Advanced Logistics Delivery System, also known as the Glider, Final Report.
This project was suggested by the US Navy Carderock Innovation Center and the Center for Innovations in Ship Design.
- AIAA Design Competition, an advanced gunship
- AEME Morphing 2004-2005 Final Reports
- The 2003-2004 Design Projects
- Team Ascent, the Peregrine Final Report (6.2M) (AIAA Competition)
- Team Volant, the Firefly Final Report, (8.3M) (AIAA Competition - Second Place Winner)
- Team Volant, the Firefly Final Presentation, (10.3M pdf file)
- Team Bacchus, the AAT-100 Final Report, (4.8M) (AIAA Competition)
- AEME Morphing 2003-2004 Final Reports
- The 2002-2003 Design Projects:
- The SWAT Team, Final Report, (12.7M), a morphing design paper study
- MEAE Morphing 2003, Final Report, (2.2M), an actual morphing flying airplane!
- Postal Penquin, Final Report, (1.9M), a UCAV, a joint aircraft and ocean design team project
- The Lemming, Final Report, (6.3M), a Low-cost Expendable UAV
- MicroMAPS, Final Report, (2.7M), a joint space team/aircraft design team project
- The 2001-2002 Design Projects
- The 2000-2001 reports, a Navy Common Support Aircraft:
Return to the AOE home page